Acces conditions to the Doctorate — Outside EU
Access conditions to the 3rd cycle for students from outside of the European Union
► The doctorate includes :
- the doctoral training, sanctioned by the research training certificate. No one can obtain the degree of doctor if he or she has not successfully completed a corresponding doctoral training.
- the work related to the preparation of a thesis and the defence of this thesis, sanctioned by the academic degree of doctor
► For any admission to the doctorate for the academic year 2022-2023, check whether you meet the General Access Conditions of Access and the specific conditions developed below.
If so, complete the online form and upload your documents in PDF format before 1st June 2023.
1. Diploma and previous results
Access to 3rd cycle studies is reserved for students with a master's degree (2nd cycle or equivalent) obtained after 5 years of study (300 credits/ECTS), with at least 14/20 during your 2nd cycle studies.
Furthermore, your previous higher education experience cannot be in contravention of the decree of 11 April 2014, art. 5.
2. Promoter and thesis project
To apply for admission to a doctoral programme, you must have a defined thesis project and the written agreement of a promoter.
To find a sponsor, please consult the research directory on the Federal Science Policy website. You can also surf to:
We also advise you to consult the General Regulations for Doctorates.
3. Financial resources
You must provide a financing plan (official evidence required) that proves you have sufficient resources to complete your studies: €10,000 + tuition fees (currently €835). You can consult the page "Cost of studies" for more information.
The doctorate is a long-term study, at least three years. It is therefore important to find out about funding possibilities.
The doctorate can be financed by :
- your own funds or a guarantor in Belgium
- a grant from your government
- a grant from the Belgian Cooperation (ARES)
- an assistant's mandate from the universities
- a ULiège doctoral scholarship
- income from the execution of a research contract