You are a student or PhD candidate from a foreign university and you wish to do a practical or research internship at our University.  ULiège grants the status of exchange student to students and PhD candidates on residence within our institution. To qualify, the student or PhD candidate must be regularly enrolled in a foreign university and wih to do a residency of at least one month as part of a practical or research internship.

Before your arrival at ULiège

  • If you are looking for an internship, send your detailed application (CV, length of internship, specialized field) to a promoter of the University of Liège specialized in your field. You will find the contact information of professors or researchers on the Faculty pages.
  • If you are accepted you can fill in the pre-registration form 
  • An internship agreement (model proposed by ULiège) must be signed by your home institution, by ULiège, as well as by you yourself. Make sure to undertake these steps early enough to allow all parties to negotiate the terms of the agreement to suit the intended stay.

iconeAttention No registration may be performed without presentation of the internship agreement signed by all parties.

  • If necessary, make sure that you have a passport and visa in good standing. (Contact the Belgian Embassy in your country of origin and provide it with the acceptance letter that we have sent to you upon receipt of your application).
  • If you are an EU citizen, be sure to obtain a European health insurance card from your mutual.
  • You are encouraged, if appropriate, to take out supplementary "all-hazards" insurance.
  • Consider take part to the ULiège Buddy Programme
  • If you wish to test or resuscitate your knowledge of french, take advantage of the French course and grammar and comprehension exercises (written and oral) made available online by ISLV-French Department
  • Look for adequate housing thanks to the Accomodation Office.

Upon your arrival at ULiège

  • Don't forget to introduce yourself as soon as possible (by appointment) at the International Relations Service in order to definitively validate your registration. We will also provide you with your student card. This registration is free.
  • Set a meeting with your sponsor

Gembloux Campus : the registration process will take place in Gembloux :

Arlon Campus : a remote registration is possible, contact Anne-Laure VILLEMINOT

  • Present yourself at the Administrative Centre to regularize your stay. See the Administrative Procedures section
  • If you arrive at the start of a term, you are invited to our welcome days

NB: for a stay of less than one month, the above procedure does not apply; however, an internship agreement is required.

Before leaving

  • Fill in the online survey that you can find on your My ULiège portal
  • Don't forget to present yourself at the International Relations Service to obtain your certificate of departure.

Visit our pages for practical information on student life in Liège.

"Internship agreement" Models

iconeDocument Model proposed by ULiège

Specific cases

Hospital and clinical internships

The hospital and clinical internships are subject to specific conditions. Get in touch with the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine (Sandrine Cordaro - +32 (0)4 366 31 75 -

ARES-CCD recipients

Interns with ARES-CCD scholarships will follow a specific programme :
• Mailing of the scholarship certificate by ARES-CCD to the Belgian Embassy and to the recipient for the procurement of a visa
• Get in touch with the PACODEL for the specific dates of the stay. It will communicate to the recipient all necessary instructions for their stay
• Housing reservation by the PACODEL
• epending on the case, taking charge of the scholarship recipient at the airport by a shuttle and chauffeur to their accommodation
• Present yourself to the PACODEL to settle administrative and financial formalities (signature of the scholarship contract, financial advance, etc.). The PACODEL will direct you to the other services of the University for your registration
• Set a meeting with your sponsor
• Present yourself to the municipal administration of your commune of residence to regularize your stay.

ARES-CCD provides a specific stay agreeement model, as well as insurance coverage for the duration of the stay.

Service des Relations Internationales

Share this page