ursuing studies while pregnant or with a young child is no doubt possible...but not always easy. Indeed, between course work to submit, exams, bottles, diapers, the lack of sleep...how does one keep up? At ULiège, persons and services are at your disposal to accompany you during this new adventure.

A bit of useful advice and information:

Presence at courses and exams

To quickly obtain the course notes that you may have missed, have you thought of organising yourself with another student (a friend, the delegate of your year...)? There also exist discussion groups created on Facebook by students from your section. A source of useful information, a great means of staying in touch with other students and staying "connected" with your student life Furthermore, certain professors, when the room is equipped (list of rooms equipped with podcast), record their courses and rebroadcast them on the Internet (via your MyULiège). Find out: you may be able to review or rehear parts of a course, or even the entire session if necessary.

In case of absence from a course or an exam, a medical certificate must be sent as soon as possible to the Faculty Student Administrator. Think also to let your professor know by email in case of prolonged absence from a course or an exam.

Possible accommodations during the academic year


For duly certified social or medical motives, the jury can, by individual and motivated decision, allow a student to register for an annual programme composed of less than 60 credits. This lightening is annual and cannot be granted after 31 October, except when the student obtains over the course of the year a status officialised by the institution. Indeed, if you are unfortunately confronted with significant medical complications during pregnancy, you can submit a request for the student with disabilities status with the support for students with disabilities service. This status will allow you to benefit from the right to lighten/reduce your course load (beyond the date of 31 October) and perhaps other accommodations as well.

For more information:

Curriculum planning

Whether it is for courses and/or exams, you can contact your Faculty Student Administrator or the president of the jury of your section in order to discuss potential accommodations/arrangements (mandatory presence at TP, exams outside sessions...). These are evaluated on a case by case basis.

Cancellation of registration

It is also possible, before 30 November, to interrupt your studies by cancelling your registration. Careful, however: this is not necessarily the suggested course of action! Indeed, you will lose your student status, which could notably lead to the loss of family allowances. In addition, if you were enrolled on the basis of an admissions decision, you will have to resubmit a new request in order to re-register during the continuation of your studies. Finally, if you have an authorisation for temporary residence related to a student visa to come study in Belgium, you need ensure with the communal administration tied to your place of residency that the cancellation of registration does not compromise your stay.

Beyond 30 November of the academic year in question, the registration cancellation is no longer possible and, in case of abandonment, the year is counted in your academic career.

For more information:

●     Consult article 11 of the studies and exams regulations.

●     Contact the admissions and registration department.

Financial support

The financial aspect of studies is sometimes a bit of a (or quite the) concern. When combining studies and maternity, it becomes difficult to work at the same time in order to take care of one's needs. The Student Social Service can receive you and analyse with you the different sources of aid possible depending on your personal economic situation.

Furthermore, know that several mutual funds offer a birth premium of a variable amount depending on the mutual. Don't hesitate to contact your mutual fund for more information. Take this time to ensure that your file is in proper order, because hospital costs can quickly add up.

Finally, don't forget to request the birth allowance as well as the family allowances for your baby. You yourself with be the beneficiary (the person who will receive the allowances) of the family allowances AND assignee (the one who grants the right) and/or recipient (the person who receives the family allowances) depending on the familial situation in which you find yourself (more information).

Student Quality of Life Department

Catherine CUVELIER


+32 (0)4 366 91 06

Voir le Service Affaires Etudiantes

Share this page