How is the academic year broken down? What are the highlights of an academic year? When are the exams held?
The academic year is divided into three terms that each cover roughly four months. Learning activites are spread out over the first two terms with the exception of certain assessments or vocational integration activities.
Depending on the programme, the pace and schedules can be quite variable: sometimes quite full, sometimes less so, but with off-peak hours to take advantage of and lots of work to be done, for exemple, at home or in groups. University studies thus require great autonomy and good organization: managing and using one's time efficiently, all while preserving one's motivation and balance between work and leisure. To allow everyone to best adapt to these changes, the University of Liège offers several activities before the start of the academic year and throughout the training path.
The academic calendar
The academic year 2019-20201,2
|Autumn term||Spring term||summer term|
|from Monday 16 September to Saturday 21 December 2019||from Monday 3 February to Saturday 9 May 2020||/|
|Holidays||from Monday 23 December 2019 to Saturday 4 January 2020||from Monday 6 April to Saturday 18 April 2020||from Wednesday 1 July to Saturday 15 August 2020|
|Exam period||from Monday 6 January to Saturday 25 January 2020||from Monday 11 May to Tuesday 30 June 20203||from Monday 17 August to Saturday 12 September 2020|
|Leave||from Monday 27 January to Saturday 1 February 2020||/||/|
University activities are suspended on:
- Friday 27 September 2019
- Thursday 31 October, Friday 1 November and Saturday 2 November 2019
- Monday 11 November 2019
- Monday 24 and Tuesday 25 February 2020 (Shrove Monday and Shrove Tuesday), in accordance with common practice
- Friday 1 May 2020 (Labour Day)
- Thursday 21 May 2020 (Ascension Day)
- Monday 1 June 2020 (Whit Monday)
1. All assessments with examination status must take place during the periods determined by the Board of Directors.
2. An exemption can be granted to Faculties for certain years of study upon the Faculty’s motivated request.
3. In accordance with usage, deliberations, dissertations/personal work and integration activities may take place until the end of the first full week of July (11/07/2020).