Registration as a free student offers the possibility of attending certain courses and taking examinations outside regular registration.
A student who wishes to register as a free student (to take individual courses) must first obtain the permission of the professor of the course concerned and of the Dean of the faculty concerned or his/her delegate.
The total load of the courses chosen may not exceed 20 credits per academic year.
If a student passes a course (minimum grade of 10/20), he or she will be issued with a certificate. This certificate gives a numerical evaluation of the result, without awarding credits.
If the student subsequently enrols regularly, the relevant jury may award credits for the successful course (at the time of validation of the student's annual programme).
The precise evaluation procedures are described in the "Free student - Free teacher" regulations.
In application of the General Regulations governing studies and examinations (art.102 §2) and the "Free Student-Free Auditor" Regulations (art. 1 §2), enrolment in individual courses is not offered to regularly enrolled students who wish to follow, as free students, teaching units that are part of the1st or2nd cycle programs in their field of study.
- A student who registers simultaneously for a bachelor's degree and a master's degree (BAMA) in application of article 100 of the "Landscape" Decree will not be authorized to register for other master's courses in his or her field of study as a free student in order to advance in his or her program.
- A1st yearundergraduate student who would only be able to register a very limited number of credits in his or her annual program in application of the rules of the "Landscape" Decree will also not be able to take courses as a free student to advance in the continuation of his or her bachelor's degree.
The student prints out the "free student" form (link below), selects the teaching units he/she wishes to follow and obtains the signature of the holder(s) of the course(s) concerned.
He/she then contacts the faculty administration in order to obtain the approval of the Dean or his/her delegate.
To confirm your registration, we ask you to complete the online form (link below) and attach all the necessary documents to finalise your registration for the academic year.
Faculty of Medicine
In the Faculty of Medicine, registration as a free student is not authorised for all courses.
The student must have a specific form (link below) completed and validated by the Board of Studies.
Teachers' signatures are not necessarily required. The authorisations are ratified by the faculty meeting and the students receive the official authorisation from the Dean.
The student who wishes to enrol as a free student in the Faculty of Medicine must therefore present to the Enrolment Service
- Identity card or passport
- the specific form completed, dated and signed, bearing the seal of the faculty
- the official authorization of the Dean (letter)
* plus a birth certificate if the place of birth is not mentioned on the identity card
Contact: For further information and specific forms, please contact Laurence Velkeneers .
Faculty of Law, Political Science & Criminology
The registration deadline for the 2023-2024 academic year is as follows:
- 30 September for Q1 courses
- 10 February 2024 for Q2 courses
Contact: Elisabeth Harriet
- From 1 to 10 credits: flat rate of 145 €
- From the 11th credit: 13 € per additional credit
The documents provided must be compliant and the registration fee paid in order for the registration to be taken into account.
For political refugees and asylum seekers
Special access conditions are reserved for recognised political refugees and asylum seekers.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org